Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lessons of Moving

Jay and I are officially moving to Birmingham, and the cleaning up and cleaning out process has taught me a number of things:

1.  I am a sucker for charitable organizations that send address labels to me.  I threw out nearly ten different types of address labels last night, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I will find more before this is all over.  (Plus the notepads, greeting cards, etc. that they send.  I'm not sure how I got on all these mailing lists because, while I donate to a few charities, it isn't very much or very often.)

2.  I need a specific place where information regarding various electronic items we have can live.  I have unearthed discs that came with computers that died ages ago, booklets about cellphones that are long gone, and software that is long outdated.  This stuff needs to be in a place that I check fairly often to figure what needs to go away and what should stay.

3.  We have entirely too many socks.  Especially white, athletic socks.  Jay and I both work in professional environments, and the embarassing amount of white socks that we have is ridiculous.

4.  I have some very pretty kitchen things that I've never used.  I love them, but I'm not sure I will ever use them.  And I don't want to end up just keeping things because I like them.  They don't have sentimental value, and I can think of people in my family who would get much more use out of them.

5.  As much as I love all my books, they are a PAIN to move.  But I still can't bear to part with them.

6.  There are a lot of things about Tuscaloosa I'm going to miss.  My co-workers, the proximity to some dear friends, the Quad, Sitar (Indian food heaven, in my humble opinion), the Winn Dixie right next to the apartment, my people at my Books-a-Million, and other things that I won't think of until I pass them and realize how much I'll miss them.  Tuscaloosa has been good to me, and I will miss it dearly.  Heather and I are already planning a trip for at least one football game.  Roll Tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment