Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday Morning's Weekend Update

Very little fun has happened around the Courtney household over the past view days.  Jay has a big test in his machinery class, and I've got to take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination on Saturday, so, needless to say, we've actually been studying.  I've also been walking nearly three miles per day with a friend of mine, so even my 'fun' time that I've been using for sewing projects has been taken up with work this week.  The blocks for my quilted sewing machine cover are still lying on the kitchen table, just waiting to be paired up with some batting and stitched.  They'll just have to wait a little longer.

However, cooking is still a great pleasure of mine, and since we have to eat, some tasty bites did happen this weekend.  I made my dear friend Melony's famous enchiladas for a party Friday, cooked chicken on a bed of carrots, onions, and celery Saturday, and made pear-raspberry pies with butter that I MADE MYSELF (thanks to http://www.rostitchery.com/2009/06/attention-internet-i-made-butter.html !) and Jay's grandmother's ('Grandma') Green Rice on Sunday.  And there are plenty of leftovers so that we have lunch this week, which is far better than spending $10 a day on lunch or buying fast food.  Anyway, here is the Green Rice recipe for any who want it.  I nearly swooned when Grandma opened up her little recipe box, plucked out the card, and let me copy it.  Enjoy!

Green Rice

Ingredients:
1 package frozen spinach thawed (I used a big bag a fresh spinach, chopped off the stems, and cooked it down)
2 small cans cream of mushroom soup (you can use cream of chicken or any other kind that you prefer)
2 small cans mushrooms
1 onion, diced
1 small can evaporated milk
2 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Put the spinach, eggs, evaporated milk, and vegetable oil in a blender/food processor.  Blend until it looks green.  Mix rice, soup, mushrooms, onion, and cheese in a separate bowl and then add the blended ingredients.  Butter one large or two medium sized casseroles and pour the mixture into it.  Bake at 350 for one hour. 

I'm not crazy about spinach, especially cooked spinach, and this is a great way to get picky eaters (like I am) to eat it.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment