Monday, March 28, 2011

Eggs Oaxaca-Style

As you may have seen already, Jay and I are trying to use up the food in our apartment so we don't have to move it upstairs.  We were perusing the contents of the fridge and realized that we had three serrano peppers that needed to be used, a bit of leftover cilantro, and a dozen eggs that could be utilized.  (Two eggs were reserved: one for cookies and the other for Cheesy Garlic Bread Swirls.)  Add some onion, garlic, ground cumin, chili powder, and canned tomatoes, and we had ourselves a spicy tasty dish.

Ingredients:
1 large can diced tomatoes (or about eight medium sized tomatoes, chopped)
1 medium onion, diced
8 large garlic cloves, chopped, maybe even a whole head of garlic if its a small one
3 serrano peppers or other green chile, chopped
Large pinch ground cumin
Large pinch chili powder
10 eggs, beaten
Cilatro, chopped, to taste (I used about two tablespoons or so)

Throw the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and peppers into a food processor or blender.  Process/Blend.  Pour into saucepan on stove, add cumin and chili powder.  Heat.  Add salt and pepper as you think it needs.

Heat some oil (or melt some butter...) in a skillet.  Pour a ladleful of egg into the skillet to make a very thin omelet.  When it's done, put it on a plate and repeat, stacking the cooked eggs like pancakes.  When all are cooked, slice it in thin strips, and toss with the sauce and cilantro. 

It was So.  Good.  I liked it even better than I thought I would, and Jay seemed to really enjoy it as well.  His only suggestion was to add cheese, though I think it would mellow out the spicy flavors more than I'd like.  I wish I'd had the good sense to take pictures, but I was hungry and immediately set to nomming.

No comments:

Post a Comment